Meet your favourite authors and illustrators in The Word, National Centre for the Written Word, in South Shields. Many sessions will also take place across the road in the beautiful St Hilda’s Church.
Gala Day has something for everyone aged 4 – 13. There will be free, fun, interactive family sessions with award winning authors, illustrators and story tellers, including Vivian French, Ian Whybrow, The 2 Steves, Korky Paul, Nick Sharratt, Paul Cookson, Jonny Duddle, Piers Torday, Steve Webb & Chris Mould, Dan Smith, Adam Bushnell & Liz Million and Kate Fox.
- meet our authors and illustrators in our free family sessions
- be part of the panel game Tell Me a Story
- join the free drop in storytelling and craft sessions provided by the regional library services
- explore The Word, from tracking ships on the river Tyne or watching 3D printing in FabLab to discovering everything you need to know about pirates!
- book places for performance-led storytelling in StoryWorld or artist workshops where you can make a memento of the day
The author sessions are all FREE. There is a nominal charge for the artist led workshops and Storyworld sessions, which is in line with The Word regular events programme.
BSL / English Interpreter
We’ve always had a BSL/English Interpreter at Gala Day for Deaf members of the audience. In previous years, we’ve chosen the sessions in which the Interpreter took part. This year we want to find out from you if you would benefit from having a Interpreter in the sessions you’re attending. We can’t guarantee we can provide a Interpreter at every session for which one is requested, but if you let us know which author you’re coming to see, we’ll let us know if it’s possible. For further details, please email info@